CyberSecurity: Password Tips
October is CyberSecurity Month! Protect yourself against malware, phishing, and other cyber threats by following the following tips:
- 1. Change passwords on websites with vulnerable security. When in doubt, change your password regularly.
- 2. Use strong, difficult-to-guess passwords. Using 10 digit passwords that include capital letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols greatly increases the security level of your account.
- 3. When your password verification requires personal questions, change the answers on a regular basis.
- 4. Use a separate, unique password for each of your online accounts. If one website is compromised, all of your other accounts will still be safe. If you can’t remember all of your passwords, use a password manager.
- 5. Change email passwords frequently. If your email program, such as Outlook or Apple Mail, is using SSL to connect to your mail server, you may need to change those passwords as well.
This article was originally posted on SANS.org.